Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ed Gein - It's a Shame that a Family Can be Torn Apart by Something as Simple as a Pack of Wild Dogs (2003)

Ed Gein is a three piece Grindcore group from Syracuse, New York. They formed in 2002. have released 2 full length albums, and consist of Graham Reynolds (Guitar & Vocals), Aaron Jenkins (Bass & Vocals), and Jesse Daino (Drums & Vocals). Their current label is Black Marked Activities which has their album "Judas Goats and Dieseleaters" and their single "Robert Flaig" on it. The album that I'm going to be reviewing was released through their old label Hex Records. And now for the review.

The album consists of eight tracks with a hidden bonus track at the end of the eigth. The tracks are "You Suck at Life...and I'm Not Talking About The Board Game", "The Marlboro Man is a Douche Bag", "A Way to Kill Old People", "Nice Shoes...Wanna Fuck?", "I Wish You The Best...", "...and by Best I Mean Worst.", "Beating a Dead Horse", and "What is This Monstrosity?!". At the end of "What is This Monstrosity?!" there is a cover of Nirvana's song "Very Ape". The album itself was really fast paced throughout it's entirety. The band just kept going at 110% of their capabilities throughout it all, wether it was the drumming, bass, or the guitar work, it was just going at full speed. The screaming though, sounded a bit like Every Time I Die. Now I'm somewhat of a fan of Every Time I Die, but only in small doses. The same with the screaming with Ed Gein, it got kind of annoying at times. And like with some of the other albums I've reviews, the album has a bunch of sound bytes from other movies, tv shows, or just random things in general. Luckily, they put them in appropriate places (unlike the PTPM album I reviewed), and it works with the album.

Overall, the album was a good production instrument wise, just could have done better with the screaming. If you're a fan of Every Time I Die, Beneath The Sky, All That Remains, The Black Dahlia Murder (earlier works though), or just Grindcore in general, I'd recommend it, but I'm not giving it my full backing. If you're interested in picking up the album, it was released on June 2, 2003, and you can get it on itunes and on amazon.

Overall Rating: 3.9 out of 5

Buy the Album
Ed Gein's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment